Update on 2016/05/01: Version 2.1.6 is available. This fixes the download problem. Please update to this version, then log out current device and log in again.
Update on 2016/04/28: I’m aware of the downloading problem. I’m looking into it now. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Update on 2015/12/19: Google decided to take download APK Downloader on their Chrome Webstore (after featuring it on the store for a year), so from now on you’ll have to install/update it manually. Sorry about that.
The latest version of Official APK Downloader is here. Now supports Firefox
APK Downloader is a Google Chrome extension / Firefox addon that allows you to download Android APK files from Google Play Store (Android Market) to your PC
– Easy to setup
– Download instantly APK files from Google Play server, so it’s faster ( if not fastest ) than any third-party web sites.
– Download .OBB files ( APK Expansion files ) from games.
– Support both Chrome and Firefox.
This is the official page of APK Downloader. Do not download the extension from other sources.
Use at your own risk. I’ll not take responsibility for anything happen to you or your account.
After installed APK Downloader, you’ll need to follow these steps in able to use it.
I. Log in to APK Downloader
Open the Options page to login. Follow the instruction to know how to log in.
Please read the FAQs to understand why this extension need your email/password. If you don’t agree with it, please don’t leave a bad review.
If you can’t log in, please read this answer.
II. Start using
After logging in, you can start using APK Downloader. Open Google Play Store , view any FREE apps ( for example: ThemeX ), then press the Download APK button next to the Install button ( see screenshot )
- Is is against Android Market’s ToS?
– Maybe, maybe not. Please read Section 3.3 for more information. So again, you at your own risk.
- Where is the Options page?
– Chrome: Click on the Wrench icon on the toolbar, go to Tools -> Extensions. Find APK Downloader. At the end of its description, you’ll see a link to Options page.
– Firefox: On menu, open Tools / Add-ons. Select tab Extension. Find APK Downloader, click Preferences, then click Open.
- Why do I have to enter my email, password and device ID? Does it store or send my password to another place?
– The extension only stores email, device id and Google Play cookie in browser’s local storage, on your computer. To be able to get Google Play cookie, it needs your email and password to login at https://www.google.com/accounts/ClientLogin . After it’s done, password is not stored, email is stored to display on Options page, Device ID and Cookie are stored for later requests. I do not send those information to another sites.
- I still don’t trust you. No way I will enter my password.
– Okay. This extension is featured by Google on their Chrome Developer Tools, and this extension will be reviewed by them manually everytime a new version is uploaded (same with the Firefox version), so there’s no way I can steal your data without them knowing it.
- I put correct email and password, but still can’t log in.
Please try to turn on Allow less secure apps setting and try again. If it still doesn’t work, make sure you don’t have any antivirus extension enabled in your Chrome.
- Why don’t you just put one account in the extension, so we don’t have to use our information ?
– That’s good for users, but not for developers like us. For example, when 1000 users download same app, it only counts 1.
- What are .OBB files? How to install them?
– .OBB files are APK Expansion Files. To know how use it, read this guide.
For example: if your game is Real Football 2013, download and copy .OBB files into /sdcard/Android/obb/Android/obb/com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftR3HM/
- Again, do you collect our information?
– I don’t want to get into trouble by collecting users information, so I try not to have it in any way. You can view the source code to make sure about this.
- Can it download paid apps?
– No, of course not, unless you purchased it with your logged account before. Please remember this isn’t a tool for pirating.
- Why do you make this extension?
– I’m an Android developer. While working on my new project, I have to decompile some apps on Google Play. Everytime I want to decompile one, I have to download it to my phone, use Astro to backup it to SDCard, connect phone to PC, then copy the apk file. That’s a really long and painful to me, because I have to do it over and over again. That’s why I come up with this idea.
- 2.1.6: 2016/05/01
- Fix download problem. Please log out current device and log in again.
- 2.1.5: 2016/02/01
- Remove accounts added in 2.1.4. For some unknown reasons they stopped working after a few days. Sorry for the inconvenience.
- Minor bug fixes.
- 2.1.4: 2016/01/04
- Happy New Year!
- Add 4 devices so you can use APK Downloader right away.
- 2.1.2: 2015/11/11
- Fix: obb files were saved in wrong location.
- Fix: download problem in Firefox version. If it cannot save files in apk-downloader subfolder, it will save those files in the Downloads folder instead.
- 2.1.1: 2015/11/07
- This version changes a lot in the background, so if something is broken, please report to me instead of giving bad review. Thanks.
- Fix: cannot download obb files (Google changed the API few days ago caused this problem)
- Fix: sometimes cannot download apps where you should be able to.
- 2.1.0: 2015/10/22
- New design for Options page + Login page.
- Add Marshmallow 6.0 into Android versions list.
- Fix sometimes can’t save settings.
- 2.0.12: 2015/08/31
- Add: display a message when trying to download paid apps.
- Add: “Download APK” button states.
- Minor bug fixes.
- 2.0.11: 2015/06/30
- Fix: the “Download APK” button displays multiple times.
- Firefox: fix download problems.
- 2.0.10: 2015/05/29
- Fix login error (“Authentication token not available, cannot login”).
- 2.0.9: 2015/05/18
- Firefox only: fixed blank options page when using private browsing.
- 2.0.8: 2015/05/12
- Save downloaded files into “apk-downloader” subfolder.
- Update guides and tooltips.
- Minor bug fixes.
- 2.0.7: 2015/04/21
- Add login page and instruction to log in correctly.
- Bug fixes.
- 2.0.6: 2015/03/31
- Add guide to enable “Access for less secure apps”
- Bug fixes
- 2.0.5: 2015/02/28
- Add ability to change device version and device codename (to download incompatible apps)
- Update options page
- Various bug fixes
- The Firefox version is back
- 2.0.4: 2014/08/22
- Add a guide for users using 2-step verification
- 2.0.3: 2014/08/11
- Support download .OBB files ( APK Expansion files ) . Now you can download games with its data files ( like Real Football 2013 ) . Read the FAQs to know how to use them.
- 2.0.2: 2014/08/10 ( Chrome only )
- Fix error “Failed – Server problem”
- 2.0.1: 2014/08/08
- Fix error “Cannot download this app” in some apps
- 2.o: 2014/08/07
- Faster and use less memory
- Support Firefox
How to install manually on Google Chrome
- Download and extract APK Downloader into a folder.
- Open extensions page
- Check “Developer mode” option
- Click on the “Load unpacked extension…” button
- Select the APK Downloader’s extracted folder.
How to update manually on Google Chrome
- Download and extract the new version over the old version.
- Open extensions page
- Find APK Downloader, then click “Reload”
- [howtogeek] How to Download APK Files (Android Apps) from Google Play
- [androidpolice] Download APKs Directly From The Web Market To Your Computer With The ‘APK Downloader’ Extension For Google Chrome
- [androidpit] How to Download APK File from Google Play
You can contact me at: redphoenix89 [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com
Greetings from Vietnam